Google groups ending?
Phil Innes
2023-12-20 21:43:31 UTC
What do you all take this to mean?

Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.

Phil Innes
William Hyde
2023-12-21 18:27:55 UTC
Post by Phil Innes
What do you all take this to mean?
Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.
I assume that I will eventually get the energy to install some sort of software, probably Thunderbird though others are available,
and sign up with eternalseptember. There are "how to" articles on this posted, the big problem being not to let my
eyes glaze over while reading them.

When posting from my old university jobs I used various programs, xrn, knews, xemacs, all of which are far better than google
groups. I only continued to use GG out of laziness.

I am getting worried about stockfish. I played a game on lichess yesterday and the stockfish analysis said that I made
no blunders or mistakes - manifestly impossible. I know that level 6 seems weaker than ever, but the analysis level?

Still a wonderful, wonderful site, however. Bridgebase.com is embarrassingly bad by comparison.

William Hyde
William Hyde
2024-02-21 18:28:41 UTC
Post by Phil Innes
What do you all take this to mean?
Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.
Phil Innes
Even I was able to register at eternal-september.org and connect with
seamonkey as a newsgroup client (or whatever the jargon is).

Registering with e-s took seconds. Setting up the client took
an hour, with copious swearing.

William Hyde
Carlo XYZ
2024-02-22 07:51:09 UTC
William Hyde schrieb am 21.02.24 um 19:28:

[SeaMonkey]
Registering with e-s took seconds.  Setting up the client took
an hour, with copious swearing.
I guess it would have been better to try

<https://www.betterbird.eu>

instead.